Health and Safety Advisor (Part-time, Three days a week)
Date Posted: 31 May 2018
Original Style is a leading manufacturer and distributor in the South West employing staff totalling approximately 200 with a proven continuing record of growth. Original Style distributes stone, glass and ceramic tiles and is one of Britain’s largest tile manufacturers with departments in customer services, marketing, finance, IT, sales, human resources, manufacturing, purchasing, warehousing and retail. Our products are available in over 60 countries and over 2000 quality retail shops worldwide. Original Style tiles have been used in wide-ranging projects from English country pubs to international opera houses, and from the homes of Hollywood film stars to Arabian mosques.
Reports To: Finance Director
Hours: Part-Time Three days a week
Purpose Of the role
To support and advise the Company on all aspects with regards to Health, Safety and the Environment. Responsible for the development, implementation and review of Health, Safety and Environment legislation and industry standards within Original Style. Provide advice and guidance to the Company on a full range of operational health, safety and fire safety matters which will require on-site visits to other Original Style sites.
- Assist all levels of management to implement and comply with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and relevant safety legislation. Make recommendations and interpret policy decisions to ensure legislative compliance.
- Encourage and promote a positive and conscious safety and environmental culture within Original Style and to drive continuous improvement in Health and Safety performance.
- Provide Health and Safety expertise by maintaining an up-to-date understanding of all appropriate health, safety and environmental legislation. Ensure compliance with statutory regulations and safety standards.
- Conduct and review risk assessments across all the Company’s sites, including COSHH. Ensure relevant employees are aware of the findings of risk assessments and know where they can be accessed.
- Review risk assessments and method statements (RAMS) from external contractors.
- Conduct and formally document safety Health and Safety (H&S) inspections and audits across all the Company’s sites.
- Compile statistics on accidents/incidents, analyse trends and ensure root causes are identified and appropriate remedial solutions are adopted. Identify measures to reduce the risks to employees, customers and others affected by the Company’s undertakings.
- Create and implement H&S training programmes for all departments.
- Liaise with HR colleagues and external agencies to contribute to the management of sickness absence and employee occupational health and wellbeing initiatives across the Company.
- Attend the Executive H&S quarterly meetings.
- Undertake continuing professional development to keep up to date with new and changing legislation, best practice, technological developments and the ongoing demands of the business.
These are the main functions of the job but employees may be required to carry out other duties as may be reasonably required.
- have a NEBOSH National General Certificate, Diploma or degree in Health & Safety, with a competency level that meets with Tech IOSH membership category as a minimum;
- have proven hands-on experience in a similar role, ideally in a manufacturing environment;
- be self-motivated and able to work on own initiative;
- demonstrate good time management skills with the ability to prioritise;
- be able to identify emerging problems and proactively develop solutions with an awareness of business needs;
- have an investigative mind with attention to detail;
- possess a high level of numeracy and literacy with strong verbal and written communication skills; able to write concise reports;
- be able to work to set standards and procedures;
- have the ability to build a rapport with managers and supervisors; be approachable;
- be IT literate, with good MS Office skills;
- demonstrate an interest in H&S legislation with the ability to understand regulations;
- possess a valid driving licence.
Remuneration and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits including a: contributory pension scheme, staff discounts,childcare vouchers, accident insurance and death in service cover. In addition there is structured training and the potential for career progression within our rapidly growing dynamic company.
Original Style is based in air-conditioned offices close to junction 30 of the M5 at Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate,Exeter, Devon, EX2 7LF.
How to apply
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter (including salary expectations) to Diane Smith, Human Resources Manager preferably by email to email@example.com or by post to Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, EX2 7LB, United Kingdom.