Human Resources Advisor
Date Posted: 12 February 2020
Original Style is one of the U.K.’s leading tile manufacturers and distributors, with an extensive portfolio of high-quality ceramic, porcelain, glass, mosaic and stone tiles. Based in the South West employing around 245 members of staff, Original Style has departments in customer service, finance, manufacturing, ICT, marketing, warehousing, purchasing, human resources, and retail. Original Style also has a commercial division working with architects, developers and specifiers, supplying a variety of projects from Gin Distilleries and hotels, to supermarkets and swimming pools. Experiencing year on year growth, with products available in over 60 countries and over 2000 retail outlets worldwide, there’s never been a more exciting time to work with Original Style.
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Human Resources Manager
Purpose Of the role
The Human Resources Advisor is accountable for providing support to the Human Resources (HR) Manager in the various human resource functions which include recruitment, employee relations, training and development, performance monitoring, employee counselling, policy review and update and employment contracts. Responsible for HR administration and managing the HRMS (SelectHR).
- To support the HR Manager in the effective selection of suitable applicants using interviews, psychometric tests, references and other methods.
- Assist in new employee induction programmes and complete the induction checklist.
- Assist in preparing contracts of employment for new employees (and sending with applicable new employee paperwork) and updated contracts for existing employees for changes in, for example, job role, working pattern.
- Work with the Managers and the HR Manager in preparing and updating job descriptions and ensuring that updated job descriptions are signed by all new employees.
- To understand Company policies and guidelines and give appropriate advice to managers and supervisors or know where to seek the correct answer.
- To assist in the review and update of Company policies and procedures to ensure they are up-to-date in line with current employment law.
- Responsible for accurate data entry of all sensitive employee information in SelectHR, for example, recruitment, personal details, career history, contact details.
- Responsible for the scanning and filing (electronic and paper) of employee information in line with the Data Protection Act 2018 which supplements UK-GDPR.
- Employee relations – supporting the HR Manager and managers/supervisors in managing absence, disciplinaries, grievances etc.
- Able to run routine reports as requested.
- Proactively promote and encourage effective health and safety practices in conjunction with the HR Manager and Health, Safety, Quality and Environment Advisor.
- Assist in training administration.
- Complete ad hoc requests such as references for ex-employees, mortgages and rental requests.
- Responsible for the administration of agency temporary workers in line with the Data Protection Act 2018 which supplements UK-GDPR.
- Continually review processes and purchases (services and items) to be more efficient and cost effective.
- Endorse and promote a positive and conscious health and safety culture within the Company. Ensure always take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety, quality and human resource policies and procedures of Original Style.
These are the main functions of the job but employees may be required to carry out other duties as may be reasonably required.
- Possess strong administration skills with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Be a graduate or educated to A’ Level standard with GCSE’s in English Language and Mathematics.
- Be organised, systematic and used to working in a busy role.
- Be able to deal with matters confidentially, diplomatically and sensitively.
- Possess a high level of numeracy and literacy with strong verbal communication skills.
- Be a logical person with lots of common sense.
- Have good IT skills in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Databases.
- Demonstrate experience of dealing competently with people at all levels in sometimes challenging situations.
- Have the ability to build a rapport with managers and supervisors. Be approachable.
- Be a good team player with the ability to work well in a team and liaise with other departments.
- Be able to multi-task and prioritise work effectively.
- Previous HR experience is preferable but not essential.
Remuneration and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits including a contributory pension scheme, 23 days holiday (increasing to 26 days with service) plus public holidays, staff discounts and death in service cover. In addition there is structured training and the potential for career progression within our growing dynamic company.
Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, Devon, EX2 7LF, England.
How to apply
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter (including salary expectations) to Diane Smith, Human Resources Manager preferably by email to email@example.com or by post to Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, EX2 7LB, United Kingdom.