New Products Designer
Date Posted: 27 September 2019
Original Style is one of the U.K.’s leading tile manufacturers and distributors, with an extensive portfolio of high-quality ceramic, porcelain, glass, mosaic and stone tiles. Based in the South West employing around 245 members of staff, Original Style has departments in customer service, finance, manufacturing, ICT, marketing, warehousing, purchasing, human resources, and retail. Original Style also has a commercial division working with architects, developers and specifiers, supplying a variety of projects from Gin Distilleries and hotels, to supermarkets and swimming pools. Experiencing year on year growth, with products available in over 60 countries and over 2000 retail outlets worldwide, there’s never been a more exciting time to work with Original Style.
Department: New Products
Reports To: New Products and Design Manager
Purpose Of the role
Part of the New Products Team, responsible for working closely with and supporting Production with their digital printing, screen printing and glaze facilities.
Will also support the New Products Team in concept and design for both individual contracts and range development.
- To support production when designs are produced on the state-of-the-art digital printer.
- Create new and exciting concepts for all Original Style brands including; Tileworks Living, Dorset Wooliscroft, The Winchester Tile Company, Odyssey and Tileworks.
- Conduct Market Research to evaluate what our competitors are doing and how this could affect our department. Create in-depth reports based on this research.
- Be constantly aware of fashion and interior trends because trends will eventually filter down into tiles. Create mood boards based on this research, bearing in mind we don’t just design for the U.K. since our products sell worldwide.
- Read publications and online articles and proactively keep up to date with interior and ceramic trends.
- Create original designs for our contract and retail customers, ensuring that the design can be consistently produced and recreated by Production.
- Use industry standard CAD programmes, including Adobe Creative Suite to produce designs suitable for digital, screen-printing, glass and hand paint.
- Working alongside the New Products Team in a creative role to produce exciting new designs suitable for digital printing, glass, screen-printing and hand paint.
- Adjust artwork for existing screen-printed product when required.
- Have an in-depth understanding of technology, production methods, materials for production and rip/profiling software.
- Work with the Production Team to ensure consistent quality of product, where both the design and ink colours remain consistent with all agreed masters.
- Liaise with the Laboratory/Technical Team to ensure that all New Products testing is complete and successful before launch.
- Ensure that all bespoke design requirements are completed within the time frame.
- Assist the Marketing Team during the launch process.
- Attend the first stages of New Products meetings with all Directors, take detailed minutes and distribute across all relevant teams.
- Propose new ideas for existing and new product ranges.
- Present initial product setting ideas to the Marketing and Photography team for the proposed new ranges.
- Endorse and promote a positive and conscious health and safety culture within the Company. Ensure always take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety, quality and human resource policies and procedures of Original Style.
These are the main functions of the job but employees may be required to carry out other duties as may be reasonably required.
- have at least two years’ experience in a similar design role, preferably within a luxury/lifestyle similar brand;
- have a qualification in graphic design or design related subject;
- be a good communicator with excellent interpersonal skills;
- demonstrate strong drawing skills;
- be equipped with excellent Mac skills with an essential working knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator;
- possess an original creative flair, developing successful designs and contributing towards the output of commercially viable products;
- be passionate about design, particularly within the digital space, with a good awareness of colour and colour spectrums;
- be commercially aware;
- be a self-starter, able to work to tight deadlines;
- be well organised in design processes with the ability to take a completed design through from initial concepts to completion;
- possess a determination to follow a project through and not be phased by constructive criticism, being able to take the initiative and not afraid to speak up;
- be well informed artistically and be in touch with interior, product and lifestyle design trends and future trends;
- be able to work both as part of a team and independently.
Remuneration and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits including a contributory pension scheme, 23 days holiday (increasing to 26 days with service) plus public holidays, staff discounts, accident insurance and death in service cover. In addition there is structured training and the potential for career progression within our growing dynamic company.
Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, Devon, EX2 7LF, England.
How to apply
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter (including salary expectations) to Diane Smith, Human Resources Manager preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, EX2 7LB, United Kingdom.