Retail Manager - Plymouth
Date Posted: 2 January 2020
Original Style is one of the U.K.’s leading tile manufacturers and distributors, with an extensive portfolio of high-quality ceramic, porcelain, glass, mosaic and stone tiles. Based in the South West employing around 245 members of staff, Original Style has departments in customer service, finance, manufacturing, ICT, marketing, warehousing, purchasing, human resources, and retail. Original Style also has a commercial division working with architects, developers and specifiers, supplying a variety of projects from Gin Distilleries and hotels, to supermarkets and swimming pools. Experiencing year on year growth, with products available in over 60 countries and over 2000 retail outlets worldwide, there’s never been a more exciting time to work with Original Style.
Reports To: Associate Retail Showrooms Director
Purpose Of the role
Manage the Retail Team and monitor the day-to-day running of the showroom. Generate sales through Retail and Trade customers, concentrating on reaching sales targets and increasing profits. Stock control and merchandise along with staff training and to follow Company health and safety policy.
- Key holder, responsible for opening and closing the showroom.
- Manage costs and overheads, monthly sales margins and targets and all factors affecting the profitable performance of the showroom. Understanding of P & L sheets.
- Seek and continuously develop knowledge and information about customer activity, pricing and tactics and communicate this to relevant departments in the Company.
- Manage and motivate the staff according to Company policies and employment laws.
- Ensure relevant HR procedures are followed (appraisals, performance management etc.).
- Train and develop new and existing staff members.
- Efficiently and within Company timescales store paperwork/record data.
- Manage cash, payment systems and banking in accordance with Company procedures and policies.
- Monitor day to day procedures of the showroom.
- Attend meetings and contribute to Company strategy and policy making as required.
- Delegate tasks as appropriate.
- Proficiently deal with customer complaints.
- Increase new sales through trade enterprises.
- Process sales and orders.
- Plan and implement POS, showroom merchandising, layout and customer flow to maximise sales, customer satisfaction, appearance, image and ergonomics for customers.
- Build and develop showroom displays.
- Manage and improve staff’s selling and customer service interaction with consumers to optimise and sustain sales performance, profitability and customer satisfaction.
- Manage security and health and safety pertaining to staff and customer awareness.
- Ensure excellent standards of housekeeping are maintained together with the condition of all equipment, fixtures and fittings within the shop.
- Ensure competent and timely stocktaking/stock management is undertaken.
- Recruit new staff members in conjunction with the HR department.
- Continually learn about new products and ranges and train staff.
- Liaise with purchasing department and identify product gaps.
- Manage and maintain effectiveness of IT and other essential in-showroom systems.
- Develop personal skills and capability through on-going training as provided by the Company or elsewhere, subject to Company approval.
- Help Marketing track where footfall has heard of our showroom.
- Target increased sales by adding grout/adhesives and other accessories to tile sales.
- Target the sales of identified “Clearance” ranges.
- Control discounts given by the Retail Sales Team.
- Endorse and promote a positive and conscious health and safety culture within the Company. Ensure always take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety, quality and human resource policies and procedures of Original Style.
These are the main functions of the job but employees may be required to carry out other duties as may be reasonably required.
- Customer focused.
- Reliable and trustworthy.
- Competent in managing a small team; being a motivator and a good listener.
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
- A good communicator.
- Well-presented and confident.
- Aware of health and safety legislation.
- Approachable, friendly and polite.
- Able to delegate.
- A problem solver.
- Numerate and accurate.
- Computer literate.
- Able to take instruction.
- Capable of implementing decisions.
- Knowledgeable of the industry and able to learn.
- Able to lift product.
- Enthusiastic for change and new ideas.
- A full (ideally clean) driving licence would be an advantage.
Remuneration and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits including a contributory pension scheme, 23 days holiday (increasing to 26 days with service) plus public holidays, staff discounts and death in service cover. In addition there is structured training and the potential for career progression within our growing dynamic company.
Original Style’s retail showroom in Plymouth can be found at Unit Q, 2-4 St Modwen Road, Marsh Mills, Plymouth, PL6 8LH
How to apply
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter (including salary expectations) to Diane Smith, Human Resources Manager preferably by email to email@example.com or by post to Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, EX2 7LB, United Kingdom.