Retail Sales Advisor - Southampton
Date Posted: 19 December 2019
Original Style is one of the U.K.’s leading tile manufacturers and distributors, with an extensive portfolio of high-quality ceramic, porcelain, glass, mosaic and stone tiles. Based in the South West employing around 245 members of staff, Original Style has departments in customer service, finance, manufacturing, ICT, marketing, warehousing, purchasing, human resources, and retail. Original Style also has a commercial division working with architects, developers and specifiers, supplying a variety of projects from Gin Distilleries and hotels, to supermarkets and swimming pools. Experiencing year on year growth, with products available in over 60 countries and over 2000 retail outlets worldwide, there’s never been a more exciting time to work with Original Style.
Reports To: Retail Manager
Purpose Of the role
Part of the Retail Team, the incumbent is responsible for providing knowledgeable help and advice to customers in a professional, personalised and friendly manner.
- Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs, without being overbearing.
- Complete a sale efficiently, being able to accurately handle money, credit card transactions etc. and provide the customer and the company with the necessary paperwork associated with the sale.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Continually learn about the product ranges.
- Maintain records related to sales.
- Watch for and recognise security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Answer questions regarding the showroom and its merchandise.
- Describe the range of products and explain the use, operation, and care of them to customers.
- Ticket, arrange and display merchandise to promote sales.
- Take delivery of stock from the main warehouse and store appropriately.
- With the help of the rest of the team, ensure good housekeeping is maintained – a clean and tidy shop is essential.
- If required, help customers to their vehicle with purchased product.
- Inventory stock.
- Endorse and promote a positive and conscious health and safety culture within the Company. Ensure always take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety, quality and human resource policies and procedures of Original Style.
These are the main functions of the job but employees may be required to carry out other duties as may be reasonably required.
- Demonstrate excellent customer services skills;
- have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with customers to discuss a particular project or idea and develop a genuine understanding of the client's needs;
- be able to suggest design concepts and proposals and present these to customers;
- have the ability to adapt design skills to promote products;
- be creative, imaginative and energetic;
- have a flair for design and colour;
- be willing to learn about the product and be able to retain the information;
- be able to convey information effectively and accurately;
- have a good educational background, with the ability to understand basic mathematics (e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, calculation of areas);
- be willing to lift boxes of tiles;
- work some weekends as part of the staff rota, working five days over a seven day period;
- be IT literate;
- be a team player;
- be reliable and able to work unsupervised.
- A flair for interior design with previous work experience and/or studies in art and design would be a definite advantage.
- An interest in DIY would be a benefit.
- Possession of a valid driving licence would be advantageous.
Remuneration and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits including a contributory pension scheme, 23 days holiday (increasing to 26 days with service) plus public holidays, staff discounts and death in service cover. In addition there is structured training and the potential for career progression within our growing dynamic company.
Original Style’s retail showroom in Southampton can be found at Unit 1, Third Avenue, Southampton, Hampshire, SO15 0LE
How to apply
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter (including salary expectations) to Diane Smith, Human Resources Manager preferably by email to email@example.com or by post to Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, EX2 7LB, United Kingdom.