Retail Sales Assistant Bournemouth
Date Posted: 15 September 2017
Original Style is a leading manufacturer and distributor in the South West employing staff totalling approximately 200 with a proven continuing record of growth. Original Style distributes stone, glass and ceramic tiles and is one of Britain’s largest tile manufacturers with departments in customer services, marketing, finance, IT, sales, human resources, manufacturing, purchasing, warehousing and retail. Our products are available in over 60 countries and over 2000 quality retail shops worldwide. Original Style tiles have been used in wide-ranging projects from English country pubs to international opera houses, and from the homes of Hollywood film stars to Arabian mosques.
Reports To: RETAIL MANAGER AND HEAD OF RETAIL STORES
Purpose Of the role
Part of the Retail Team, the incumbent is responsible for providing knowledgeable help and advice to customers in a professional, personalised and friendly manner.
- Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs, without being overbearing.
- Complete a sale efficiently, being able to accurately handle money, credit card transactions etc. and provide the customer and the company with the necessary paperwork associated with the sale.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Continually learn about the product ranges.
- Maintain records related to sales.
- Watch for and recognise security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Describe the range of products and explain the use, operation, and care of them to customers.
- Ticket, arrange and display merchandise to promote sales.
- Take delivery of stock from the main warehouse and store appropriately.
- With the help of the rest of the team, ensure good housekeeping is maintained – a clean and tidy shop is essential.
- If required, help customers to their vehicle with purchased product.
- Inventory stock.
These are the main functions of the job but employees may be required to carry out other duties as may be reasonably required.
- have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with customers to discuss a particular project or idea and develop a genuine understanding of the client's needs;
- be able to suggest design concepts and proposals and present these to customers;
- have the ability to adapt design skills to promote products;
- be creative, imaginative and energetic;
- have a flair for design and colour;
- be willing to learn about the product and be able to retain the information;
- be able to convey information effectively and accurately;
- have a good educational background, with the ability to understand basic mathematics (e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, calculation of areas);
- have a valid driving licence;
- be willing to lift boxes of tiles;
- work some weekends as part of the staff rota, working five days over a seven day period;
- be IT literate;
- be a team player;
- be reliable and able to work unsupervised;
- A flair for interior design with previous work experience and/or studies in art and design would be a definite advantage.
- An interest in DIY would be a benefit.
Remuneration and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits including a: contributory pension scheme, staff discounts,childcare vouchers, accident insurance and death in service cover. In addition there is structured training and the potential for career progression within our rapidly growing dynamic company.
Original Style is based in air-conditioned offices close to junction 30 of the M5 at Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate,Exeter, Devon, EX2 7LF.
How to apply
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter (including salary expectations) to Diane Smith, Human Resources Manager preferably by email to email@example.com or by post to Original Style Limited, Falcon Road, Sowton Industrial Estate, Exeter, EX2 7LB, United Kingdom.